Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Monday, August 3, 2015

Vautrin' s Last Stand by Honore de Balzac (part four of Scenes from a Courtesan's Life, A Component of The Human Comedy, 1847)


"Balzac has invented everything. —COLETTE, The Evening Star"

69/91



"One of the greatest tragedies of my life is the death of Lucien de Rubempré” -  Oscar Wilde 

"My mention of two of Balzac’s books where homosexuality played a part was not intended to be exhaustive. There are others as well. Balzac was wonderfully skillful in presenting the subject without naming it. My remark about his not bothering was meant to be admiring rather than reproachful: he broke through conventional limits of fictional interest without any fuss." Richard Ellmann, New York Review of Books, October 27, 1977

One of the most important recurring characters in The Comedie Humaine is that of Lucien de Rubempere.  He first appears in Lost Illusions as the quintessential provincial poet determined to take his place on the Parisian literary stage.  In part of four of the  tetralogy, Scene's From the Life of a Courtesan, Vautrin's Last Avatar he kills himself in prison after having been framed in a very complicated embezzlement scheme.  Much of the very real drama is in the efforts of his attorney to free him from these false charges.  We get a very good luck at behind the scenes maneuvers to achieve this.  The attorney's wife sees it as a possible way for her husband to raise his status in the court system.  Balzac goes into a lot of details about the different ranks of judges, their social and economic status and such. 

Many, including Proust and Gide, were fascinated by the suggestion that Lucien de Rumempre was meant to be seen as gay.  Oscar Wilde thought he was meant to be read that way.  He may be the first central Gay character in European Literature.  To me the issue is unresolved.


Mel u
 

3 comments:

Fred said...

Mel u,

I don't remember considering the possibility that Lucien was gay when I was reading it, which, of course, means nothing. I wasn't looking for clues, so I didn't see any, if there. I don't think his sexual preferences really affects the reading of the story.

Mel u said...

Fred. Here are my thoughts. Lucien is described in a fashion Balzac would normally reserve for a beautiful young woman. I think thus may be an indication he is if not bisexual or unclear in his sexuality of interest to openly gay men like Vaturin, who I think is considerd the first openly gay character in French literature. Some see signs Lucien and Verutin had sex. I think it may matter to the story as it portrays the opportunistic nature of Lucien and his need to establish himself. I very much appreciate your comments and perhaps I am reaching in thus and mislead by modern commentators on Balzac

Fred said...

mel u,

It's been a while since I read it, so I don't remember that at all. That would certainly set readers wondering, especially contemporary French readers. I do remember now that Vautrin's interest in Lucien was suggestive, but I don't remember any hints that they had sex.