Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Friday, December 3, 2010

Welcome to all Book Blog Hoppers-December 3 to December 5

Welcome to all Book Blog Hoppers


I will follow back all who follow me-

Every Friday Jennifer of Crazy For Books hosts The Book Blogger Hop-The Book Blogger Hop is a great chance to meet new to you bloggers, find some new blogs to follow and gain some great readers for your own blog.   Every week about 275 or so bloggers from all over the world participate.    I have found some excellent new blogs this way and gained some wonderful readers.    I follow about 500 book blogs  and am always happy to find more.   If you follow me I will follow you.

   

   My blog for the last few months has been one third Asian literature, one third classics and one third short stories but I do read contemporary fiction also and even some YA once in a while.    I have various reading projects I am working on also.    My latest one is short stories by Australian writers of the 19th century and I also recently read  five stories by African writers in competition for the Caine Prize.    I am very into Katherine Mansfield and Virginia Woolf.  

If you visit me please leave  a comment so I can return the visit-

I will follow all who follow me-

Every week Jennifer asks participants in the Book Blogger hop to answer a question-here is this week's question-

"What very popular and hyped book in the blogosphere did you NOT enjoy and how did you feel about posting your review?"


-one book I admit I bought as I loved the cover was Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink.   Before I bought it I read numerous posts on the web lauding the book.   The author has her own blog and seems so nice I hated to say I really thought the book was just a huge collection of cliches about teenage twins saving the world from evil.    I was concerned I would seem rude  if I did not praise this book as most had but I felt I needed to be honest in my review and warned readers away.   I got several emails from people saying they wish they had read my review before they bought the book.    I should note I bought the book.   There are no libraries where I live so once I buy a book I try to read it.   
  
thanks

Mel u

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Just saying Hi and Happy weekend!

Mystica said...

I did not like The Reliable Wife and Wolf Hall - both were considered by most very positively - I finished both books but it was tough going.

Sayeth said...

I just found your blog via Book Blogger Hop. It looks like we have some similar tastes - I do reviews of free audiobooks (mostly out-of-copyright classics) and audio short stories. I'm now a Follower of your blog.

Alison Can Read said...

Hopping through. I wasn't a fan of Prophecy of the Sisters either.
My Hop

bookaddict4real said...

Hi Mel-U I am sorry you dont have a library where you are,Iam sure people appreciated you being honest

Mel u said...

Kah Woei -thanks for stopping by

Mystica-I have Wolf Hall on my TBR list but no rush

Listener-I am now a follower of your excellent blog also

Alison-yes there were a lot of people who did not like it-

bookadict4real-yes it would be nice to have a real public library here in Manila!

Susan said...

I'm coming by from both hops. I like the mix of books you review--very different! I can spend a lot of time browsing and wishing I had more time to read. I'm a follower now.
Susan from ReadingWorld.

Sugarbeat said...

Hi There! I've found your blog through the hop. I'm your newest follower. Although I primarily read romance because of the escapism, I often pick up something else that catches my attention (and I'm always looking around for ideas!) I have a Japanese/Tiwanese student living with us for 3 years to complete high school so I'm looking for some ideas for myself as well as her! I can be found at http://www.sugarbeatsbooks.com

Unknown said...

New follower! Return the favor?

http://moonlightgleam.blogspot.com